RGP OPTOMETRIST IN SAN ANTONIO, TX
WE SPECIALIZE IN RIGID GAS PERMIABLE, HYBRID, & SCLERAL CONTACT LENSES
EXPLORE OUR CONTACT LENS OPTIONS
Whether you have been wearing contact lenses (CLs) or would like to try them for the first time or must have them due to ocular diseases, OMNI VISION offers experience and state of the art latest lens technology to help you find the best CLs just for your eyes.
We prescribe various types of CLs:
Disposable Soft CLs
- Soft contact lenses are made of soft, flexible plastics that allow oxygen to reach the cornea, allowing better comfort and healthier eyes. You name it, we have it!
Compared to other type of CLs, this is the most common method to correct for nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hyperopia), presbyopia, and astigmatism.
Rigid Gas Permeable (RGP) CLs
- RGP contacts are made of a firm, durable plastic that transmits oxygen. They offer excellent eye health because: they don’t contain water like soft lenses do, they resist deposits, and they are less likely to harbor bacteria compared to soft CLs.
- RGP contact lenses clean and disinfect easily, don’t dehydrate, are easier to handle, and last longer than soft lenses. And since GP contacts retain their shape better, they provide crisper vision than soft contact lenses.
Scleral Rigid Gas Permeable CLs
- Certian eye conditions, such as keratoconus or transplanted corneas, create irregular astigmatism where soft contact lens is no longer a good option. Scleral CLs create a smooth and regular ocular surface to provide the best vision for your eyes.
- This type of lens is similiar to the regular RGP CLs (as mentioned above). They are, however, larger to provide better comfort and lens stability.
Colored Soft CLs
- The contact lens color that will suit you best depends on numerous factors, such as your hair color and skin tone.
- Ultimately, it depends on the kind of look you want to achieve. We are here to help you make that decision.
- Custom color CLs can even camouflage a congenital eye defect, eye injury, or mimic the appearance of a healthy pupil.
Hybrid CLs (Combination of Soft & RGP)
- This is the perfect option for those who want to have both clear
vision and great comfort. The center rigid gas permeable lens
provides clear, crisp vision, and UV protection while the soft
part of the lens provides all day comfort.
- This is a great option for those who can’t get clear vision with
the regular soft CLs, especially for those who have astigmatism.
Orthokeratology CLs (Ortho-K)
A vision correction method where a gas permeable contact lens is used to temporarily reshape the
cornea to reduce refractive errors such as nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hyperopia),
and/or astigmatism. This method is a perfect substitution for eye glasses, refractive surgeries, or for
those who prefer not to wear contact lenses during the day.
Good candidates for orthokeratology include children age 8 to 12 with progressive myopia, as well as most adolescents and adults, although the best success is with people under age 40. Ortho-K is recommended for low to mild nearsightedness.